Tuesday, June 14, 2011


(Peter and I taking time for lunch on BelleyGood Ledge...It's a good thing I am not afraid of heights!)

My boyfriend Peter notified me that it has been a while since I have blogged and to his credit it has (for my standards).

This has truely been the spring of diversity and I have been loving every minute of it. I had to throw out my routine of running both days on the weekends, so as to enjoy long days out on the climbing wall with my main man/climbing partner. You don't understand how difficult it is to mentally and physically break a routine such as weekend double long running, but I've done it!

(View at the top of Lava Flow before going down Ring Creek Rip)

AM: Run/Hike with client in the Headwaters
PM: 3 hour MT. Bike ride with my friend Cathy (2nd time on new bike, 2nd time riding in quite a few years). This ride was super fun and challenging. We went from my house in Valleycliffe, up 9 mile logging road all the way to and down ring creek rip, and back home so as not to bike the plunge. My bike was having some gear issues and after bonk hill, it would no longer go into my granny gear. This made riding uphill from there on in very taxing, but I managed! The way down ring creek was fun but I forgot to turn my shocks back on. I thought the ride felt a bit stiff! The hockey game was on but the canucks were in boston and we lost bad anyways so I was happy to have been out riding! This ride was kind of my test to see if I could manage the test of metal on very little MT. Bike training and I think I should be fine.

(My bike posing for the camera)

(Cathy trying to fix her cleat)

TUESDAY: PM: Easy shake out run, 50 minutes. Legs a bit tired from the previous day.

WEDNESDAY: 3.5 hour trail run. This run was to make up for the weekend day I was going to be missing climbing. Peter and I carpooled to Nort Van today and I had a bunch of hours to kill after my work ended (10am) and when his ended (3pm). I went out for a killer run which started at the headwaters, up BCMC to Misquito creek, powerlines to Grouse, back up BCMC to Skyline, up Skyline (steep ass incline) to bottom of the cut, down old MT. HWY logging road to secret 7 MT. Bike trail, and back to headwaters. There was still a bunch of snow at the base of the cut but none going up skyline which was nice!

AM: Afternoon strenth session (which I happily felt the next day)
PM: Multi-Pitch Climbing up Jungle Warfare with Peter

(At the top- I swear I am not posing, I was actually trying to bend down.)

FRIDAY: I had about a 90 minute gap in between clients and I had to get to the bank so I decided to run up to the bank from the automall to Lynn Valley, deposit some cash/cheques and return back. I had done this run the week before and it took me just over 50 minutes, I knew that if I hauled ass I could do it in under 50min. And haul Ass I did! It's an awesome run because you work hard up hill for about 20 minutes and then tempo along lynn valley road (flat) and then it's flat back and all downhill. I love ripping on the descent back....ouuuuu weeeee! My official time was 49:10! That night it was back to watching another hockey game! This time we won!

SATURDAY: Peter, our friend Mark, and I were suppose to head up a 15 pitch multi-pitch sport climbing route this morning but the weather kind of crapped out on us. Luckily Mark, who is also training for Knee Knacker, brought his running stuff. Peter hasn't really been running due to injury but he trooped it out and kept us on our toes. Man can that guy powerhike! We went up the Chief (in record time, for me)and did a circuit of the 3 summits (thanks Mark for the beef jerkey at the top) before making our way over to the Squaw Trail and ascending the Squaw Peak. We eventually came out onto a logging road which joined up with 9 mile and we were back home in just over 3:30.

SUNDAY: The weather was much better today so Peter and I did the route which we cancelled on the day before. We were climbing by 7am (the route goes from the base of the Chief to the very top where the hikers would be sitting) and were back at the bottom by 4pm. All I could think about was yam fries from the Living Room, a local venue here in Squish.

(A little scramble on the approach to get to the base of the climb)

(Climbing the Black Dyke)

(Peter at the top of the Chief, it was super cool to just pop up and over the top to all those hikers...some guy even hiked up a fake Stanley Cup!)

I'm pretty pooped from the week of activity. I feel like I could use a rest week but this is the last big week before Knee Knacker tapering so I might as well go into it feeling a bit tired and push through. I am sure I'll come around by the weekend! I am really looking forward to all the races ahead, next up is Comfortably numb 25km not this Sunday but next. I haven't done it for a few years but just like Iron Knee 25km, it is one not to be missed!

Peter and I signed up for test of metal (67km) which is happening this saturday. I know it's going to leave me feeling a bit wasted, which is perfect because I'll double that with the Knee Knacker run on the Sunday. I love running the first 3/4's...but...who knows....when you've done that much, might as well do the whole thing!

See you in the trails!

No comments: