Friday, July 17, 2009

The Road to Recovery


(white river 50 miler 2008, will be missing it this year but will return again soon)

I am going to let you in on a little secret of mine. It's one of those secrets where at the end your going to say to yourself, "I didn't need to know this", but I am going to go ahead and tell you anyways. Every morning, when I am doing my 'biz' in the 'powder room' at home (I feel by using words such as "biz" and "powder room" it makes it all seem more polite) I have with me, my lap top. Some people may have along a magazine or a good book, me, I have my laptop! I usually dork out on facebook pictures or blogs, whatever is interesting me at the time. Something that involves little concentration and distracts me from the task at hand. Lately, I have been really into the writings of Anton Krupicka. He is a very talented writer and has been posting nearly everyday. He said something really interesting that resonated with me today. He was describing a time when he was injured and a newspaper called him and wanted a statement on what it felt like to run effortlessly: Here is an excerpt from his blog:

"Once, a Colorado Springs reporter called me in order to comment on this particular feeling, of the sensation of being so physically adroit at a given task that focus and consciousness seemingly cease to exist. Scratch that, seem to exist on a much higher plane, rather. At the time, I was living and going to school in Bozeman, MT. I was studying for a mid-term in the campus library, so I went outside to take the call. Except that I had to hang up because I needed to walk on crutches to leave the building. And my foot was in a boot because over a month earlier I had been experiencing one of those ineffable moments during a run when I stepped on a rock and something gave way in that foot and it would be months before it was right again and I would feel that way again. And there was frozen slush on the ground. And night was descending so it was bitterly cold out because it was Montana in the winter. And yet, the feeling he wanted me to describe is so non-subtle, so singular, that I had no problem conjuring the notion of the concept, despite being so far removed from experiencing it. Distance from the flow of running does not lessen the emotional impact it has on me; I never forget".

Right now, I am at the stage of healing from a fractured cuboid, which side note, the sport med doctor I am seeing has never ever seen this before! It's actually starting to feel good, i.e- no pain while walking and I am in the process of getting my very own moon boot (as I call it)! Like Anton, I too remember exactly what it feels like to run. The sensations and emotions I get before, during, and after running. I imagine what it will feel like to run again, to roam free in the mountains, to stand, open my arms and breath in the fresh air. I so can't wait for that moment. I picture myself running effortlessly and smiling ear to ear. I assume it will look something like this:



Until then however, me and the saddle have become quite good friends! I am even heading down to Deep Cove to go for a nice paddle today. I guess it's a day of paddling and saddling (ya that was corny!). Hope everyone has a great weekend as it's going to be glorious! Get out there and get in touch with the fantastic emotions that come out while being active in the outdoors.

Nic

4 comments:

Devon said...

Feel better soon!

Gary Robbins said...

Heal quickly Gilder, we'll miss ya in the local trail scene, but you can still have lots of fun on that road bike!
GR

Nicola Gildersleeve said...

The road bike has been so much fun! My sit bones aren't as happy but the rest of my body is thanking me for the lack of impact and soreness I'd normally have from running!!!

wcaitlin said...

Hope it heals quick!