Sunday, July 5, 2009

Subluxed Cuboid Bone- I love saying that!

I haven't written all week. Maybe it's because tapers are a relaxing time and aren't spent doing any crazy adventures. Last Saturday I was running solo and cranked my right foot running down a rocky section of Baden Powell. I roll my ankles on occasion but I swear they are made of spaghetti and spring right back into perfect form after a few seconds. I continued to run without any discomfort as well as I ran 3 hrs 30 mins the next day again w/o any pain. However, when I woke up Monday morning, I was in bad shape. My right foot was totally sore on the lateral side and I was unable to move without a slight limp. I always knew that one of these days my ankle rolling "free of pain" days would come to an end and eventually one would get me. Well, it did, and it is a bit unfortunate because Knee Knacker is 6 days away!

I spent the week biking to and from work, no long rides but I kept active. With rest, my foot wasn't getting any better. I iced it a few times with no change. I would try and run everyday but would make it about 10 ft only to realize it wasn't going to happen today. I did the Grouse Grind Thursday, which felt great, and for the first time this year I took the gondola down (normally I run down). I climbed Friday night, went for a hike up Lynn Peak Saturday and managed to run down relatively pain free. Sunday I managed to hike up a new trail to the top of Dam Mountain and back down BCMC. I even ran a few parts without to much discomfort. Each day feels similiar to the last.

I had mentioned my situation to Gary Robbins at work the other day and he thought I probably had a subluxed cuboid bone. I googled it on my computer and I pretty much have all the symptoms. I went to Jen Turner at Moveo and she did some ART on it and made a few adjustments. There was no change after this session however, but I have learned that 1 session does not guarantee instant relief. It may take a few more! I probably should have seen her as soon as it started to hurt but what can you do. I just read that anti-inflammatory drugs may help, so I just popped some back. I am going to get an x-ray tonight and best case scenario it is just a subluxed cuboid. I am hoping really hoping it is not fractured.

In the meantime though, I have really enjoyed the down time, hiking, and climbing. The bum foot has made me realize how important it is to have other hobbies to keep me smiling. When we were in the car on the way to Grouse I actually saw my HR at 44 bpm. I know it can go that low but recently during my peak weeks it is around 51-52 bpm. Perhaps, I have been running, not truly recovered, but I am now! So, if in a few days I can run again, I will be ready to rock. But if not, it won't be the end of the world. There is always another race! Life is long!

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

The Mommy said...

Wow. I just went to physio today for the same thing. Mine started after Comfortably Numb, though don't recall an obvious part of the run when I injured myself.

Good luck with recovery. My Dr and physio gal both say at least 2 weeks no running. Boo.