Sunday, January 12, 2014

FRIENDSHIPS!

Gemma, Sarah, Shauna and I at the end of our run
As the years pass by and I grow a little but older, I can`t help but notice the subtle ways I am evolving. Perhaps, it`s my observation of others that allows me to notice and reflect on these changes.

I have been a runner now for almost 10 years. My attitude towards training and racing has evolved so much in this time. My motivations to compete have ebbed and flowed but the one thing that is constant, is my absolute need to run.

Shauna and I were in the car one day recently and we were reflecting on what we did on weekends before we ran. I really don't remember...



One of my observations is that I have been running the same trails for so long now that sometimes the experience of going out just lacks a bit of excitement. I know what's around every turn.

I really can't stress enough how enjoyable it is to run with people who are a bit newer to the sport. They bring back the excitement of trail running. It is really cool to see someone so stoked to be on a new trail. It reminds me of what it was like when I first started trail running and motivates me to explore new places.

I am really enjoying the company of my training partners right now. I don't think I have ever trained with people that are so excited, silly, and giddy. This energy keeps me playful and it is in this way that I enjoy trail running most. It's by far the greatest part of the week.

Shauna and I on our weekly BCMC Friday night hike

Gemma, Shauna, and I on our BCMC Friday night hike
It's amazing the quality of people you meet in this sport and how fast great relationships are developed. Looking forward to many more runs with great friends!

1 comment:

HEATHERRUNS said...

What a GREAT post! As we 'evolve' as runners, we begin to value more the people and experiences more than the 'wins'. And this is why you are still smiling :-)