Wednesday, June 16, 2010

20 questions...

When people hear or are told that I am running 100 miles...they first of all take a moment to think to themselves silently (probably about how long it takes them to drive it), then they look back and repeat..."100 miles?"...after I politely say "yes", the hit of questions starts to roll on through. The questions I have found to be the most common are:

- In one day?
- Do you run the whole way?
- Without stopping?
- what do you eat?
- Do you have to carry all your fluids and food with you?
- How long will it take?
- How do you train for that?
- How many others are doing this?
- Do you run with anyone?
- Where do you sleep?
- Do you change your shoes
...and the list goes on!

I can understand how those who don't run ultras can look at this and think it's a little crazy. It was only 7 years ago that I went to visit my friend and her family in Toronto. My friends dad was training for his first marathon and he told me he had a 3 hour training run to do that weekend. Well, I just COULD NOT understand how anyone could RUN for 3 hours. I just couldn't. Then I started to run and while I was training for MY first marathon I met a guy at school who ran 80km races. Once again, I was left in a state of shock wondering how anyone could run for 80km! I was the person asking all the same questions above.

My favorite question is- "Are you ready?". This reminds me of university when colleagues would ask me if I was ready for the test we were all studying so hard for. I don't think I ever felt ready and I don't know if I am now. I won't know until I am done. Just like a test, after it's over, you figure out whether or not you were ready, and I am sure the same goes for running. If I can run smart, steady, handle any body issues, finish strong and with a smile on my face, I know I was/am ready!

Another day in the sauna. I started to feel a little puky towards the end of it. Hopefully tomorrow feels easier!

See you in the trails!

2 comments:

garobbins said...

I still remember when I first met Jackson and he told me that he and a few guys were heading out for a 5hr run on the weekend and I totally thought he was shitting me!

Good stuff, like the exam analogy. Run smart and you'll pass with flying colors!

GR

The un-Zen Runner said...

I like this post. It's encouraging to know that you didn't just come out of your mother's womb some crazy runner :) It makes the prospect of accomplishing something like this seem more attainable. I'd be curious to find out what the norm is for the distances that people train when they are preparing for 50m/100m races.