Wednesday, August 18, 2010

North Gulley Scramble, Hanes Valley, Elsay Lake!



The adventures never stop, and so 'high school' summer break continues. Since my last post I have been climbing more than a handful of times. I even freaked myself to tears last week on a climb called 'Denice the Menace'-That was humbling (Thanks Pete).

Scrambling up the North Gulley of the Chief was something- something pretty amazing. It was supposed to be a rainy day but we managed to avoid it all together in Squamish, although it was a bit cloudy. Some adventures don't wait for good weather! After a couple hour scramble we found ourselves on the 2nd peak of the Chief and made our way down. We had a great lunch at the Zephyr cafe (mmmm to the avocado chicken burger)and decided to finish the day off doing a multi-pitch climb called 'calculus crack'. I really do like crack climbing but I have a whole lot more to learn about it that's for sure.



A day later my friend Kate and I headed hiking up Hanes Valley. I have only ever done this as a run and it was nice to take it a bit easier and take it all in, however we did run back down old mountain highway!







(The bears they kindly keep captive for everyone to see on the mountain)

On Monday, Peter and I took advantage of another beautiful day and decided to try something new - Hike out to Elsay Lake from Seymour Mtn. We had no clue how long it would take but we new it dropped down quite a ways over about 8.5km. The hike was stunning, as were the views. The lake was huge and not another single soul was there. Bliss! I was somewhat dreading the hike back because we had dropped down about 2000ft but every steep section was quickly relieved by a traverse or ridge line that allowed for a change of pace (and rest). It ended up being 2.5 hours each way for a total of 5 hours. Not bad! If we were to have run it, I am sure it could be done in 4 hrs (or less for you fasties).







Tomorrow we leave for a trip to Revelstoke to visit our friends Todd and Kristen. I had the privileged of attending their wedding 2 years ago in Leadville Colorado, the home of the mighty Leadville 100, which Kristen had done herself a month before her wedding! I didn't know them that well then but have since spent much more time with them (although not enough) and I can't say how excited I am to go hang out- they are a lot of fun! After that we are heading to the Rockies to climb and hike/run. I am stoked! Will post pics when I can.

See you in the trails!

1 comment:

SteveQ said...

I can't begin to tell you how jealous I am that you get to run somewhere that looks like that!