Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Pumpkin Millet Muffins



Every now and then I come across a recipe that I just have to share because it's THAT good. I had been wanting to try it ever since I got the Rebar cookbook. I had been bundled up at home sick for the past 2 days and suddenly had a lot more time on my hands to bake! As my good friend Meghan (who just got engaged!!!) would say, the millet provides the crunch factor (I love crunch factor).

Pumpkin Millet Muffins: yields 15 muffins

2 eggs beaten
1/2 cup vegetable oil (I used apple sauce instead)
1 cup buttermilk (I used low fat)
3/4 cup brown sugar (I used 2/3 and it was great)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup millet (toasted)
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds (toasted)
1 cup unbleached flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp fresh grated nutmeg (I used ground)

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a large muffin pan and line with muffin cups if you like. Set aside. Combine eggs, oil (applesauce), buttermilk, sugar, vanilla, and pumpkin in a large bowl and mix together, making sure there are no lumps of brown sugar. Stir in oats. Toast millet in a hot dry skillet until lightly browned and fragrant. Toast the pumpkin seeds and add the millet and seeds to the bowl. Set aside.

2. In a separate bowl, sift the dry ingredients together. Add the dry mix to the wet mix and gently stir to combine. Do not over mix, or the muffins will be dry and tough.

3. Fill muffin cups generously with batter. Sprinkle tops with pumpkin seeds and bake for 25 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

These muffins are not only healthy but would make a great pre or post-run snack (or desert!). I hope you enjoy them as much as I did. I have given half of them away. When you find something amazing, you must share with others!

See you in the trails.

No comments: