Friday, October 16, 2009

Holy Miserable Weather Batman

Ok, I'll admit it, the title of my post is a little on the lame side but I remember saying "Holy (insert random line here) Batman" as a kid all the time. My brother's influence of course!

This morning I woke up and checked the weather report on my laptop. To my surprise there is a rainfall warning for Greater Vancouver. This should make my weekend of running really interesting. I have planned on running Around the Lake Giv'r Take which is a 30km around Cultus Lake in Chilliwack, B.C. A few days ago the weather reported a measly 1mm of rain for Saturday. Today however, it's calling for 35-45mm for that same day. I immediately started to question this whole racing thing. Instead, I filled my thoughts with running in the local trails and how much more fun that would be. Then realized, no matter where I go, there is still going to be a Sh$t load of rain!

I can remember being a kid, running around and splish splashing through giant puddles. Nothing was better. And still, to me, nothing is better. I usually start off rainy runs, tip toeing around the puddles trying to avoid getting wet. Which is ironic because I am sure my feet are already wet from the rain pouring down from above. Eventually, I succumb to the puddle gods and that's when the run get's 100% more fun. Once their wet, their wet, there's no going back! I am left to speed through each wonderful puddle, not knowing how deep one is from the next. I am like a little kid, letting out a playful childlike scream every time I hit a deep soaker.

Having good gear helps to. My new favorite shoes are the La Sportiva Crosslites. They are made for handling well in the mud. With the warm temps here in Vancouver, there really hasn't been a whole lot of mud, so today I'll get to really test them out. The Mountain Hardware Quark Jacket is the greatest jacket for the rain. Not only is it breathable, it will keep you and your head (thanks to the hood) bone dry.

Alright time to go face the monsoon! See you in the trails.

No comments: