Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Taking out the trash...



If I was to tell someone I know that I was lazy, they would roll their eyes and call me crazy. They'd say "You? The girl who runs 100 miles everyday (not true), you can't be lazy".

I hate to admit it, but it's true. I have lazy tendencies. However, none of these lie in my athletic sphere, they are all in my personal sphere of life.

But, for the first time in a long time, I am changing. I don't know if I like the word 'change' so much. Rather, I feel as though I am 'improving'.

Today I did something I have not done in over a year. For the last year and a bit, Peter and I have been living in a ground level suite below a very nice family. The perks of this arrangement are great. We never have to take out the garbage. Yes, we do have to put our own garbage and recycling in their bin, but we never take it out.

Today, I went to take our home garbage out. Forgetting it was garbage day, the garbage bin was out on the street, along with 3 recycling bags, 2 plastic recycling bin's, and a yard bin. As I walked over to the garbage bin, I contemplated simply putting my garbage bag into it and walking away, leaving it on the street for my landlords to take care of. Of course, for the first time in a while, my conscious set in. I simply was not going to let myself do that. Here I am, with the rest of the day to do whatever I want, and I was about to leave this simple task, for 2 busy parents who both work full time, to take care of themselves. So, I made the choice to take the garbage bin in.

As I walked back towards my front door, I couldn't help but look at the rest of the items that still needed to be taken in. At that point, I had no intention of bringing the rest back to the house, but once again, my conscience set in. It took me all of 10 seconds to grab it all and put it back in it's original place.

Because I am home during the day, I have walked by the garbage numerous times. I have even pondered to myself whether or not I should take it in. It wasn't until today I finally decided to do it. For something so small, I felt something really big inside. I felt as though, I made a step to improving some of this 'laziness' that lies inside of me. I feel as though, I kicked laziness in the butt today and hopefully I can continue this forward motion. I am sure my landlords appreciate the gesture as well.

See you in the trails...

3 comments:

SteveQ said...

Know the feeling... but you remind me of people I see at health clubs taking the elevator to get to the stair steppers.

Nicola Gildersleeve said...

haha...I wouldn't do that. My conscience knows better when it comes to health and fitness!

My issue is with household items!

aka Moogy said...

XLNT...but I've got the ultimate lazy gig...laundry taken care of..check...meals prepared...check...room cleaned and bed made...check...free coffee...check...who cares if I may drown out here. ;)