Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A Lemony Delight!

Alright, I feel like I am finally back on my feet and back to myself. It's crazy, I am like one of those cranky runners who gets cranky when they can't run. All good though. The first step is acceptance!

All of that aside, I have gotten out for some decent runs in the past few days. Did a nice 2 hour run on my old home turf in North Vancouver on Saturday. Saw A LOT of familiar faces and it reminded me how great the running community is out there. I hardly see anyone out in the trails in Squamish. Maybe it's just the time of year- everyones skiing!

Jen's studio is pretty much good to go and I am super stoked to be apart of it. Personal Training will start as of next week and monday, tuesday, and thursday night compu-trainer classes are a go. Head here for more info...

Email me at nicola@challengebychoice.com if you want to be take part in any of the compu-trainer sessions, book personal training sessions, and/or do any lactate balance point testing.

I made an AMAZING soup last night that I want to share with you guys. It came out of the whitewater cookbook, borrowed from my aunt Jules. I also made the vegan energy bars and hazelnut cranberry granola from the rebar cookbook- both blew me away!



Lemony Lentil Soup (serve 8)

2 c red lentils
2 T olive oil
1 large onion, diced
2 tsp salt
6 cloves garlic, minced
3 carrots, diced
1 tsp pepper
¼ tsp red chilli flakes
1 T oregano
1 T fresh rosemary chopped
2 bay leaves
8 cups veg or chicken stock
Juice of 2 lemons
2 tsp lemon zest
1 c feta cheese crumbled
2 T fresh dill, chopped

Rinse lentils, in a colander and ser aside to drain. Heat the olive oil in a large pot, add onion and sauté until translucent. Add carrots, garlic, salt, pepper, chilli flakes, rosemary, oregano, and bay leaves. Stir well and sauté until the carrots are tender. Add the stock and the lentils and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 25 minutes or until the lentils are soft. Remove the bay leaves, you may puree the soup at this point or leave it just as is. Add the lemon juice, zest and more salt and pepper to taste. To serve, leadle soup into bowls and sprinkle with feta and dill on top

The only changes I made to it were that I halved the recipe and used veg stock instead of chicken because that's what I had at home. It was so yummy!

See you in the trails.

3 comments:

Sara Montgomery said...

Yum, that soup looks amazing. Must make this weekend.

Glad you're feeling better!

Nicole said...

thanks for the recipe! I will have to give that one a go this week.

aka Moogy said...

Hey, don't know if y'all still have my e-mail but can ya send me your energy bar recipe? I'm looking to try some different approaches during a race.
Going to give it a go at C2M. My first race after injury at WS.
Have a good one! 8)
Moogy